Thanksgiving is fast approaching. Here are some of the 10 Best Thanksgiving Quotes to feed your mind and whet your appetite (while you're waiting for the turkey to come out of the oven)!
1. "For each new morning with its light,
For rest and shelter of the night,
For health and food, for love and friends,
For everything Thy goodness sends."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
2. "As we express our gratitude, we must never forget that the highest appreciation is not to utter words, but to live by them. "
- John Fitzgerald Kennedy
3. "Thanksgiving Day comes, by statute, once a year; to the honest man it comes as frequently as the heart of gratitude will allow."
- Edward Sandford Martin
4. "What we're really talking about is a wonderful day set aside on the fourth Thursday of November when no one diets. I mean, why else would they call it Thanksgiving?"
- Erma Bombeck
5. "Our rural ancestors, with little blest,
Patient of labour when the end was rest,
Indulged the day that housed their annual grain,
With feasts, and off'rings, and a thankful strain."
- Alexander Pope
6. "It has been an unchallengeable American doctrine that cranberry sauce, a pink goo with overtones of sugared tomatoes, is a delectable necessity of the Thanksgiving board and that turkey is uneatable without it."
- Alistair Cooke
7. "Ah! on Thanksgiving day...
When the care-wearied man seeks his mother once more,
And the worn matron smiles where the girl smiled before.
What moistens the lips and what brightens the eye?
What calls back the past, like the rich pumpkin pie?"
- John Greenleaf Whittier
8. "The unthankful heart...discovers no mercies; but let the thankful heart sweep through the day, and, as the magnet finds the iron, so it will find, in every hour, some heavenly blessings!"
- Henry Ward Beecher
9. "Thanksgiving is the holiday of peace, the celebration of work and the simple life...a true folk-festival that speaks the poetry of the turn of the seasons, the beauty of seedtime and harvest, the ripe product of the year - and the deep, deep connection of all these things with God."
- Ray Stannard Baker (David Grayson)
10. "Thanksgiving comes to us out of the prehistoric dimness, universal to all ages and all faiths. At whatever straws we must grasp, there is always a time for gratitude and new beginnings."
- J. Robert Moskin
The Best Anti-Thanksgiving Quote Of All Time:
"Happy We-Stole-Your-Land-And-Killed-Your-People Day." Thanksgiving toast, from the film "Sweet November"