Life have you down? Despite life's ups and downs, the journey is far more exciting than the destination. Here are the 100 Best Quotes About Life:
1. "Just living is not enough. One must have sunshine, freedom, and a little flower."
Hans Christian Anderson
2. "When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and I could say, 'I used everything you gave me.'"
3. "The purpose of life is a life of purpose."
4. "I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day."
Elwyn Brooks White
5. "Life is simple, it's just not easy."
6. "A life without cause is a life without effect."
7. "Here is the test to find whether your mission on earth is finished. If you're alive, it isn't."
8. "Life's not always fair. Sometimes you can get a splinter even sliding down a rainbow."
9. "The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation."
Henry David Thoreau
10. "I hope life isn't a big joke, because I don't get it."
11. "Life is a foreign language: all men mispronounce it."
12. "Forgive, O Lord, my little jokes on Thee,
And I'll forgive Thy great big one on me."
13. "In spite of the cost of living, it's still popular."
14. "To live is so startling it leaves little time for anything else."
15. "Yes I will try to be. Because I believe that not being is arrogant."
16. "Life is the hyphen between matter and spirit."
Augustus William Hare and Julius Charles Hare
17. "My life has a superb cast but I can't figure out the plot."
18. "I say, if your knees aren't green by the end of the day, you ought to seriously re-examine your life."
19. "You fall out of your mother's womb, you crawl across open country under fire, and you drop into your grave."
20. "As we struggle to make sense of things, life looks on in repose."
21. "I think I've discovered the secret of life - you just hang around until you get used to it."
22. "Maybe all one can do is hope to end up with the right regrets."
23. "Life is like a blanket too short. You pull it up and your toes rebel, you yank it down and shivers meander about your shoulder; but cheerful folks manage to draw their knees up and pass a very comfortable night."
24. "Life is a whim of several billions cells to be you for a while."
25. "You can't escape history, or the needs and neuroses you've picked up like layers and layers of tartar on your teeth."
26. "Life is a great big canvas, and you should throw all the paint on it you can."
27. "I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches."
Alice Roosevelt Longworth
28. "Life is like a coin. You can spend it any way you wish, but you only spend it once."
29. "We are born wet, naked, and hungry. Then things get worse."
30. "Life is like a beautiful melody, only the lyrics are messed up."
31. "Life is a cement trampoline."
32. "To preserve a man alive in the midst of so many chances and hostilities, is as great a miracle as to create him."
33. "Life...is like a box of chocolates - a cheap, thoughtless, perfunctory gift that no one ever asks for, unreturnable because all you get back is another box
of chocolates. So, you're stuck with mostly undefinable whipped mint crap, mindlessly wolfed down when there's nothing left to eat while you're watching the game. Sure, once in a while you get a peanut butter cup or an English toffee but it's gone too fast and the taste is fleeting. In the end, you are left with nothing but broken bits of hardened jelly and teeth-shattering nuts, which, if you are desperate enough to eat, leaves nothing but an empty box of useless brown paper."
The X Files
34. "He who has a why to live can bear almost any how."
35. "God pours life into death and death into life without a drop being spilled."
36. "Life is what we make it, always has been, always will be."
37. "I think everybody should get rich and famous and do everything they ever dreamed of so they can see that it's not the answer."
38. "The great business of life is to be, to do, to do without, and to depart."
John, Viscount Morley
39. "Who will tell whether one happy moment of love or the joy of breathing or walking on bright morning and smelling the fresh air, is not worth all the suffering and effort which life implies."
40. "My formula for living is quite simple. I get up in the morning and I go to bed at night. In between, I occupy myself as best I can."
41. "To live remains an art which everyone must learn, and which no one can teach."
42. "Living involves tearing up one rough draft after another."
43. "My grandfather always said that living is like licking honey off a thorn."
44. "No man lives without jostling and being jostled; in all ways he has to elbow himself through the world, giving and receiving offence."
45. "Don't think of retiring from the world until the world will be sorry that you retire. I hate a fellow whom pride or cowardice or laziness drive into a corner, and who does nothing when he is there but sit and growl. Let him come out as I do, and bark."
46. "Life loves to be taken by the lapel and told: 'I am with you kid. Let's go.'"
47. "Life has meaning only if one barters it day by day for something other than itself."
Antoine de Saint-Exupery
48. "Why torture yourself when life'll do it for you?"
49. "Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."
George Bernard Shaw
50. "Puritans will never believe it, but life is full of disagreeable things that aren't even good for you."
51. "'Tis all a chequer board of nights and days,
Where destiny with en for pieces plays;
Hither and thither, and mates, and slays."
52. "Life: It is about the gift not the package it comes in."
Dennis Costea, Jr.
53. "...the powerful play goes on, and you will contribute a verse."
54. "Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
55. "Life is the game that must be played."
Edwin Arlington Robinson
56. "You will never be happy if you continue to search for what happiness consists of. You will never life if you are looking for the meaning of life."
57. "There is no wealth but life."
58. "I know what things are good: friendship and work and conversation. These I shall have."
59. "Life will always remain a gamble, with prizes sometimes for the imprudent, and blanks so often to the wise."
Jerome K. Jerome
60. "The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for it."
Henry David Thoreau
61. "I've learned never to be surprised if what must inevitably happen happens right now."
62. "Life is not final. It's daily pop quizzes."
63. "Eating, loving, singing, and digesting are, in truth, the four acts of the comic opera known as life, and they pass like bubbles of a bottle of champagne. Whoever lets them break without having enjoyed them is a complete fool."
64. "We mourn the transitory things and fret under the yoke of the immutable ones."
65. "I have measured out my life with coffee spoons."
66. "Life was a damned muddle - a football game with everyone offside and the referee gotten rid of - everyone claiming the referee would have been on his side."
F. Scott Fitzgerald
67. "Any idiot can face a crisis - it's the day to day living that wears you out."
68. "Following straight lines shortens distances, and also life."
69. "Life is like sailing. You can use any wind to go in any direction."
70. "Life is so largely controlled by chance that its conduct can be but a perpetual improvisation."
W. Somerset Maugham
71. "In life we all have an unspeakable secret, an irreversible regret, an unreachable dream and an unforgettable love."
72. "I count life just a stuff
To try the soul's strength on."
73. "Life may have no meaning. Or even worse, it may have a meaning of which I disapprove."
74. "Life is an incurable Disease."
75. "The philosophy of mine earth can be summed up as this: Sunshine creates happiness, and I create myself. Nights are long and life is predominantly good. Wind is refreshing. Tea is wisdom. Do the best you can, and be good to yourself so that you can above all be good to others."
Jessi Lane Adams
76. "Human life is purely a matter of deciding what's important to you."
77. "For if there is a sin against life, it consists perhaps not so much in despairing of life as in hoping for another life and in eluding the implacable grandeur of this life."
78. "Life is not so bad if you have plenty of luck, a good physique, and not too much imagination."
79. "The only way to have a life is to commit to it like crazy."
80. "Life is a compromise of what your ego wants to do, what experience tells you to do, and what your nerves let you do."
81. "Life is a mixed blessing, which we vainly try to unmix."
82. "In masks outrageous and austere
The years go by in single file;
But none has merited my fear,
And none has quite escaped my smile."
Elinor Hoyt Wylie
83. "To succeed in lief, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone, and a funny bone." Reba McEntire
84. "The tragedy of life is not so much what men suffer, but rather what they miss."
85. "I say to my child, I will explain to you as much of life as I can, but you must remember that there is a part of life for which you are the explanation."
86. "All the art of living lies in a fine mingling of letting go and holding on."
87. "Sunday clears away the rust of the whole week."
88. "We tear life out of life to use it for looking at itself."
89. "[Psychoanalysis] is not the only way to resolve inner conflicts. Life itself still remains a very effective therapist."
90. "Give us Lord, a bit o' sun,
A bit o' work and a bit o' fun;
Give us all in the struggle and sputter
Our daily bread and a bit o' butter."
From a Lancaster, England Inn
91. "The tragedy of life is not that man loses, but that he almost wins."
92. "Live for the roots
Love the green
Dance with the blossoms."
93. "Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we're here we should dance."
94. "When compiling his great dictionary, the young Noah Webster travels to the Himalayas, where he climbs to the cave of the world's wises man. 'O, great sage,' he says, 'tell me the meaning of life.' The sage sits Noah at his feet and, with great solemnity, commences to unfold the meaning of life. When finished, he places a hand on the young man's shoulder and says, 'Do you have any other questions, my son?' Noah flips a page in his notebook and says, 'You wouldn't know the meaning of lift, would you?'"
95. "We're all accidental soldiers in the army of life."
96. "Life is a long process of getting tired."
97. "The kaleidoscope of colour which is my life, shows the interesting choices I've made along the way."
98. "He who has nothing to die for has nothing to live for."
99. "Perhaps I'm old and tired, but I always think that the chances of finding out what really is going on are so absurdly remote that the only thing to do is to say hang the sense of it and just keep yourself occupied."
100. "In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life. It goes on."