Saint Valentine's Day, better known as simply Valentine's Day, is the annual commemoration of love celebrated on February 14. Valentine's Day was created by Pope Gelasius I in 500 AD to honor the Christian martyrs named Valentine. The religious observance of the day was deleted by Pope Paul VI from the Roman calender of saints in 1969 but is still often permitted. Valentine's Day was first related to romantic love by Geoffrey Chaucer during the Middle Ages. Until the 19th century handwritten valentines were often given rather than modern mass-produced greeting cards.
Valentine's Day is often celebrated with expressions of love, and gifts of chocolates, flowers, and cards known as "valentines." Symbols of modern Valentine's Day include heart shapes, figures of winged Cupid, and doves. To celebrate the exchange of loving words to honor Valentine's Day, here are the 101 Best Valentine's Day Quotes:
1. "When love is not madness, it is not love."
Pedro Calderon de la Barca
2. "Oh, if it be to choose and call thee mine, love, thou art every day my Valentine!"
3. "Many are the starrs I see, but in my eye no starr like thee."
English phrase on poesy rings
4. "Loving is not just looking at each other, it's looking in the same direction."
Antoine de Saint-Expuery, Wind, Sand, and Stars, 1939
5. "Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love."
6. "I don't understand why Cupid was chosen to represent Valentine's Day. When I think about romance, the last thing on my mind is a short, chubby toddler coming at me with a weapon."
7. "For you see, each day I love you more
Today more than yesterday and less than tomorrow."
8. "Love is a symbol of eternity. It wipes out all sense of time, destroying all memory of a beginning and all fear of an end."
9. "Love - a wildly misunderstood although highly desirable malfunction of the heart which weakens the brain, causes eyes to sparkle, cheeks to glow, blood pressure to rise, and the lips to pucker."
10. "I claim there ain't
As great as Valentine."
11. "Trip over love, you can get up. Fall in love and you fall forever."
12. "Anyone can catch your eye, but it takes someone special to catch your heart."
13. "A hundred hearts would be too few
To carry all my love for you."
14. "You have to walk carefully in the beginning of love; the running across fields into your lover's arms can only come later when you're sure they won't laugh if you
Jonathan Carroll "Outside The Dog Museum"
15. "We are all a little weird and life's a little weird, and when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall in mutual weirdness and call it love."
16. "Must, bid the Morn awake1
Sad Winter now declines,
Each bird doth choose a mate;
This day's Saint Valentine's.
For that good bishop's sake
Get up and let us see
What beauty it shall be
That Fortune us assigns."
17. "Love is a smoke made with the fume of sighs."
18. "kisses are a better fate than wisdom."
19. "If love is blind, why is lingerie so popular?"
20. "Who, being loved, is poor?"
21. "In melody divine,
My heart it beats to rapturous love,
I long to call you mine."
22. "Grow old with me! The best is yet to be."
23. "Without love, what are we worth? Eighty-nine cents! Eighty-nine cents worth of chemicals walking around lonely."
Hawkeye, from M*A*S*H
24. "The hours I spend with you I look upon as sort of a perfumed garden, a dim twilight, and a fountain singing to it. You and you alone make me feel that I am alive. Other men it is said have seen angels, but I have seen thee and thou art enough."
25. "We loved with a love that was more than love."
Edgar Allen Poe
26. "Love is the magician that pulls man out of his own hat."
27. "Time is too slow for those who wait, too swift for those who fear, too long for those who grieve, too short for those who rejoice, but for those who love, time is eternity."
Henry Van Dyke
28. "Are we not like two volumes of one book?"
29. "A bell is no bell 'til you ring it,
A song is no song 'til you sing it,
And love in your heart
Wasn't put there to stay -
Love isn't love
'Til you give it away."
Oscar Hammerstein, "You Are Sixteen" from the film Sound of Music
30. "I've fallen in love many times...always with you."
31. "Love is much nicer to be in than an automobile accident, a tight girdle, a higher tax bracket, or a holding pattern over Philadelphia."
32. "What I need to live has been given to me by the earth. Why I need to live has
been given to me by you."
33. "I love thee to the depth and breadth and height my soul can reach."
Elizabeth Barrett Browning
34. "When you're in love you never really know whether your elation comes from the qualities of the one you love, or if it attributes them to her; whether the light which surrounds her like a halo comes from you, from her, or from the meeting of your sparks."
Natalie Clifford Barney
35. "Take away love and our earth is a tomb."
36. "Love makes your soul crawl out from its hiding place."
Zora Neale Hurston
37. "Love is a game that two can play and both win."
38. "Without love, the rich and poor live in the same house."
39. "We don't believe in rheumatism and true love until after the first attack."
Marie Ebner Von Eschenback, Aporism
40. "I love thee - I love thee,
'Tis all that I can say
It is my vision in the night,
My dreaming in the day."
41. "Love, and a cough, cannot be hid."
George Herbert in Jacula Prudentum 1651
42. "Love unlocks doors and opens windows that weren't even there before."
Mignon McLaughlin, The Second Neurotic's Notebook, 1966
43. "Poetry spills from the cracks of a broken heart, but flows from one which is loved."
Christopher Paul Rubero
44. "A man is not where he lives, but where he loves."
45. "Tell me how many beads there are
In a silver chain
Of evening rain,
Unraveled from the tumbling main,
And threading the eye of a yellow star:
So many times do I love again."
Thomas Lovell Beddoes
46. "The heart has its reasons that reason knows nothing of."
Blaize Pascal, Pensees, 1670
47. "True love stories never have endings."
48. "Nobody has ever measured, even poets, how much a heart can hold."
49. "Love is missing someone whenever you're apart, but somehow feeling warm inside because you're close in heart."
50. "Ah me! Love can not be cured by herbs."
51. "Soul meets soul on lovers' lips."
Percy Bysshe Shelley
52. "I need the starshine of your heavenly eyes,
After the day's great sun."
Charles Hanson Towne
53. "Love is the silent saying and saying of a single name."
Mignon McLaughlin, The Neurotic's Notebook, 1960
54. "Love would never be a promise of a rose garden unless it is showered with light of faith, water of sincerity, and air of passion."
55. "Sometimes we make love with our eyes. Sometimes we make love with our hands.
Sometimes we make love with our bodies. Always we make love with our hearts."
56. "The Eskimos had fifty-two names for snow because it was important to them: there ought to be as many for love."
57. "You know when you have found your prince because you not only have a smile on your face but in your heart as well."
58. "Love puts the fun in together, the sad in apart, and the joy in a heart."
59. "Who would give a law to lovers? Love is unto itself a higher law."
Boethius, The Consolation of Philosophy
60. "Candle light, moon light, star light,
The brightest glow is from love light."
61. "A baby is born with a need to be loved - and never outgrows it."
Frank A. Clark
62. "Anyone can be passionate, but it takes real lovers to be silly."
63. "Love is like dew that falls on both nettles and lilies."
64. "I love you like crazy, baby
'Cuz I'd go crazy without you."
65. "How did it happen that their lips came together? How does it happen that birds sing, that snow melts, that the rose unfolds, that the dawn whitens behind the stark shapes of trees on the quivering summit of the hill? A kiss, an all was said."
66. "It is astonishing how little one feels alone when one loves."
67. "Love is not singular except in syllable."
68. "They who meet on an April night are forever lost in love, if there's moonlight all about and there's no moon above."
E.Y. "Yip" Harburg and Fred Saidy, dialogue just before the song "Old Devil Moon" in the musical Finian's Rainbow
69. "Love me and the world is mine."
70. "Love is an irresistible desire to be irresistibly desired."
71. "Love is the poetry of the senses."
Honore de Balzac
72. "Come live in my heart and pay no rent."
73. "True love comes quietly, without banners or flashing lights. If you hear bells, get your ears checked."
74. "Love is what you've been through with somebody."
75. "Love is being stupid together."
76. "For twas not into my ear your whispered
But into my heart.
twas not my lips you kissed
But my soul."
77. "As soon go kindle fire with snow, as seek to quench the fire of love with words."
78. "My heart to you is given;
Oh, do give yours to me;
We'll lock them up together,
And throw away the key."
79. "Love is the greatest refreshment in life."
80. "What the world really needs is more love and less paper work."
81. "Give me a kisse, and to that kisse a score;
Then to that twenty, adde a hundred more;
A thousand to that hundred; so kisse on,
To make that thousand up a million;
Treble that million, and when that is done,
Lets kiss afresh, as when we first begun."
Robert Herrick, "To Anthea (III)"
82. "Falling in love is so hard on the knees."
83. "Love is a canvas furnished by Nature and embroidered by imagination."
84. "The most beautiful view is the one I share with you."
85. "The mot important things are the hardest to say, because words diminish them."
86. "My whole heart for my whole life."
French proverb on poesy rings
87. "Like I've always said, love wouldn't be blind if the braille weren't so damned much fun."
88. "Love is metaphysical gravity."
R. Buckminster Fuller
89. "If I had a single flower for every time I think about you, I could walk forever in my garden."
90. "Love is not love that alters when it alteration finds."
91. "If I could reach up and hold a star for every time you've made me smile, the entire evening sky would be in the palm of my hand."
92. "You don't marry someone you can live with - you marry the person who you cannot live without."
93. "A kiss is a lovely trick designed by nature to stop speech when words become superfluous."
94. "True love is like ghosts, which everybody talks about and few have seen."
95. "I never knew how to worship until I knew how to love."
Henry Ward Beecher
96. "Better to have loved and lost, than to have never loved at all."
97. "Love is but the discovery of ourselves in others, and the delight in the recognition."
98. "Sympathy constitutes friendship; but in love there is a sort of antipathy, or opposing passion. Each strives to be the other, and both together make up one
Samuel Taylor Coleridge
99. "Very small degree of hope is sufficient to cause the birth of love."
100. "There is no remedy for love but to love more."
101. "At the touch of love everyone becomes a poet."