RideLust has compiled tips for finding a good shop to work on your car. Their top five are:
1) Get recommendations from other car enthusiasts in your area. Where do they take their own cars for service?
2) Research a shop's reputation. How long have they been in business? Are customer's satisfied with the work they turn out?
3) How clean is the shop? A dirty shop could be a sign that neither the owner nor the mechanics care much about their work.
4) Is the owner or the mechanic willing to answer your questions? If you can't engage them in dialogue, or if they talk down to you, do you really think you'll be satisfied with the quality of work they do?
5) Beware of any shop that tries to sell you services you really don't need. If you're not sure, ask a friend or relative who knows cars to review the shop's recommendations.