McDonald's recalls Shrek glasses on Friday, June 4, 2010. Over 12 million Shrek inspired glasses have been recalled by the fast food giant after cadmium was found adorning the glasses. The 16 ounce glasses sold for $2 each by the company have Shrek characters painted on the outside. The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission issued an alert to consumers instructing purchasers to not use the cups decorated with the characters of Shrek, Princess Fiona, Puss, and Donkey. The Commission also instructed purchasers to keep watch for refund instructions issued by McDonald's.
Cadmium is a soft, malleable, bluish-white, metallic compound. Cadmium is known for it's high toxicity and carcinogenic effects which pose health and environmental hazards. The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission fears that the cadmium found on the Shrek glasses sold by McDonald's could seep through the glass and cause associated health problems like bone softening, kidney problems, and other issues.
McDonald's reps have recalled the cadmium laced glasses as a precaution, with the exact words "an abundance of caution" utilized in the formal recall statement. McDonald's insists the glasses are safe. California Rep. Jackie Speier received an "anonymous tip" a week ago which sparked the recall.
Check back for more or go here: Sugarslam