Weddings can be an emotional event for most people. Sometimes, humor is needed to tone down the emotional levels of family and close friends. Humor is also used as an effective ice breaker at wedding events. To get people's attention back to the couple, jokes are often used by the speaker, who is usually the best man.
Some of the duties of the best man are to give a speech and make a toast for the newly married couple. Below are 10 short jokes and one-liners that can be used at wedding speeches and toasts:
1. "Marriage isn't a word... it's a sentence."
2. "In order to be happy with a man, you must understand him a lot and love him a little. To be happy with a woman, you must love her a lot and not try to understand her at all."
3. "Keep your eyes wide open before marriage and half shut afterwards." -Benjamin Franklin
4. "Here's to matrimony, the high sea for which no compass has yet been invented!" -Heinrich Heine
5. "In olden times sacrifices were made at the altar -- a practice which is still continued." -Helen Rowland
6. "Marriages are made in heaven. But, again, so are thunder, lightning, tornados and hail."
7. "Marriage is when a man and woman become as one; the trouble starts when they try to decide which one."
8. "Adam and Eve had an ideal marriage. He didn't have to hear about all the men she could have married... and she didn't have to hear about how well his Mother cooked."
9. "We were happily married for eight months. Unfortunately, we were married for four and a half years." -Nick Faldo
10. "Love is like an hourglass, with the heart filling up as the brain empties.: -Jule Renard